Overview of your Short Inca Trail 2-day Tour
If you do not have time for the Classic Inca Trail, or simply do not want to spend 4 days on the trail, this trek is for you! This is a shorter version of the trail and is done in 2 days and 1 night. You will be able to see some Inca ruins along the trail, and the trail ends at Machu Picchu, where you will have a guided tour. You will also be able to see Aguas Calientes during this tour. This tour allows you to see most of the same things that you can see on a regular Inca Trail tour, but in just 2 days.
Check the Short Inca Trail availability now and book short, but unforgettable Short Inca Trail. Tour in Peru Team updates the availability of the trail weekly for your comfort. If you have any further questions please contact us.
Itinerary at a glance!
Day 1 – Km 104 to Machu Picchu:
6:00-7:30 a.m. Transfer from hotel to train station in Ollantaytambo.
7:45-9:00 We will board the train.
Visit to the ruins of Chachabamba and Wiñaywayna, Walk to Intipunku (the gate of the sun).
3:20-4:00 p.m. Panoramic veiw of Machu Picchu.
4:00-4:30 We will take a bus to the town of Aguas Calientes.
You will have free time to visit the market, the museum, or the hot springs.
You will spend the night in the hotel of your choice.
Day 2 – Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu:
6:00-6:30 a.m. Transfer hotel-bus station-Machu Picchu.
7:00-10:00 Guided tour of Machu Picchu.
You will have free time to take pictures, have lunch, or visit the museum or market.
6:30-8:20 p.m. Return to Ollantaytambo by train.
8:30-10:30 Return to Cusco by bus.
Reminder: All information and time schedules may vary.
Short Inca Trail 2-day Tour in detail
Day 1 Inca Trail – Km 104 to Machu Picchu (Meals: L, D)
At about 6 in the morning we will pick you up from your hotel, and travel by bus and train to the starting point for the trail. We will start walking, and after 4 hours we will arrive at Wiñay Wayna (Forever Young in Quechua) (2700m/8850 ft). We will have lunch there and merge onto the regular Inca Trail path.
We will arrive at the “Sun Gate” where you will be able to enjoy a spectacular view of Machu Picchu. We will walk from there to Aguas Calientes, and have dinner at a restaurant there.
- Total walking hours :00 hrs (0 km.) – Initial altitude 2100 m. – Final 2,730 m.
- Overnight in Aguas Calientes (Altitude: 2000m, 6500ft)
Day 2 Inca Trail – Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (Meals: B)
We have breakfast and then take the first bus (6 am) up to Machu Picchu. We’ll see the beautiful sunrise and have a guided tour of the site. You will then have free time to look around on your own.
For an additional fee, we can get the entrance tickets for Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu (the top of the mountain we see in every picture of Machu Picchu) 2720m/8890ft. This optional hike should be booked in advance (it takes 60 min to reach the top and another 50 min to hike down).
You will have the afternoon free for you to have lunch, visit the hot springs of Aguas Calientes or the small markets and museum. Finally, you will travel by train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and then by bus to Cusco. Transfer to your hotel.
- Total walking hours :00 hrs (0 km) – Initial altitude 2000 m. Final 2,400 m.
- Train back to Ollantaytambo, bus back to Cusco, and transfer to your hotel.
Get prepared for the Inca Trail, check out our Frequently Asked Questions page where you find answer to most of our travelers´ questions. Also hit on a link and check the preparation link for the trek!
Reminder: All information and time schedules may vary.
What your dream trip includes
The Inca Trail Package Includes:
- Professional, bilingual Tour Guide. Assistant Tour Guide (for groups of 9 or more)
- All transfers from and to your hotel
- Train from Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo
- Bus from Ollantaytambo – Cusco
- Entrance tickets for the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu
- Meals as indicated (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner). Lunch on day 4 is not included
- Camping and cooking gear carried by porters
- Oxygen bottle, First Aid kit
- Vegetarian food on request at no extra cost!
The Inca Trail Package Does Not Include:
- International or domestic flights
- Sleeping bags
- Tips or extra expenses
You can get this tour from $XXX USD, This price may vary due to season, number of travelers or other conditions.
Discounts and Offers
- ISIC Card: Students with a valid ISIC card can apply to a discount of XX%.
- Junior: People under 18 years old can get this tour for $XXUSD.
You can enhance your experience with these aditional services:
- Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu Mountain: an extra hike to the sacred mountains next to the citadel.
- Vistadome Train: enjoy the landscape in a panoramic train during your trip to Machu Picchu.
- Porters: hire an extra porter to get him carry your belongings and enjoy the rek at your best! You will support a Peruvian family too!
What to bring for your Short Inca Trail 2-day Tour
What you need to take for this tour:
- Original Passport, International Student Card (ISIC card) if applicable
- Walking boots, Waterproof jacket, Rain poncho, T-shirts, trousers
- Sun hat, Sunscreen, Insect repellent, Toiletries and hand sanitizer
- Bottled Water and Personal medication
- Shorts, Plasters, bandages, Extra money, Bathing suit, Cameras
- Travel Insurance is recommended
Note: Personal belongings are carried by tourists.
Map of the tour
Upgrade options for your comfort
You can always ask for an upgrade for all of our services:
Trains: you can ask for a high class train, the Hiram Bingham luxury service.
Accomodation: If you feel like staying in a hotel during your stay in Cusco even for a couple of hours, we have plenty of options for you. Please check our hotel lists to find the best option for you.
Guiding: Our guides are very knowledgeable and experienced, but if you want a specialized guiding you can ask us to a special guiding service.
Testimonials for inspiration
What is the best season to visit Machu Picchu?
Machu Picchu weather is two seasons. You can enjoy fresh and vivid days in rainy seasons from November to March, or shiny and blue-sky days during the dry season, from April to October.
When is Machu Picchu closed?
Good news! Machu Picchu is NEVER closed. You can visit this wonder every day of the year.
Should I book my permit in advance?
We strongly encourage you to book your Machu Picchu permit in advance as they can be sold out easily.