Machu Picchu is one of the most popular places to visit in the world. It appears on many lists of the best places to see. Some of the top reasons that it is so popular are:
1. The Mystery. A lot of people know that it was built by the Incas centuries ago in what is today Peru, however, most people don’t know that the site was not ‘’discovered’’ until 1911.
Some of the indigenous people in the area know about it, and they were likely the ones who led Hiram Bingham to the ruins when he found them in 1911. Additionally, no one really knows why the Incas abandoned Machu Picchu.
2. The amazing view. Even in pictures, but seeing the pictures does not compare to actually seeing it in person; you will simply love it being here and will be glad to have come on a great tour of the most amazing site in South America if not the whole World.
3. The Inca Trail. This is one of the most popular ways to get to Machu Picchu, hiking over a long distance in the Andes Mountains, camping on the trail, and being able to see other Incan ruins along the way.
4. Other sites en route. Speaking of other ruins, Patallacta is one of the sites you pass by on the Inca Trail. This is a large Inca site located near Machu Picchu. Llactapata was built atop stepped agricultural terraces surrounding a rising hillside and it is believed the settlement was also used by the Inca as a stopping point for those on their way to Machu Picchu, now, one of the New Wonders of the World. Today some of the remains of Patallacta, include dozens of walled houses and other constructions which can still be explored.
5. Being an explorer. Cutting your way through a forest, exploring ancient ruins, and crossing deadly ancient rope bridges hoping that it doesn’t break under the weight of your steps on the adventure, well it is not that bad at all!
There are of course other top reasons too to visit Machu Picchu, it is not without reason that Machu Picchu is recognized as 1 of the 7 Modern Wonders of the World and whether you are planning a trip to this place, we invite you to go on reading and reviewing the great info in our site so that you are more inspired on your next adventure to Peru.