Overview of your Route of the Sun Tour
This 1 day tour begins in Cuzco and ends in Puno. This is called the Route of the Sun. We will travel by bus between the two cities, stopping to see several important sites located between them. Some of the places you will get to see along the way are the town of Andahuaylillas and its beautiful colonial church, the ruins of Raqchi, the museum of Pucara, as well as other important sites. This can be combined with other tours in Cuzco or Puno.
Itinerary at a glance!
Enjoy the Route from Cusco to Puno by Bus in just 1 day
- 07:00 – 07:15 a.m. We will pick you up from your hotel and head to the bus station.
- 07:30 – 08:15 We will take a bus from Cusco to Andahuaylillas.
- 08:15 – 08:45 We will visit the church of San Pedro de Andahuaylillas.
- 08:50 – 10:40 Bus to Raqchi.
- 10:45 – 11:20 Guided tour of the Inca temple at Raqchi.
- 11:25 – 12:30 Bus to Sicuani.
- 12:30 – 14:00 Buffet lunch in a local restraunt.
- 14:05 – 14:40 Bus trip to La Raya.
- 14:40 – 14:50 We will stop in La Raya to take picture of snow covered mountains. This is the highest point between Cusco and Puno.
- 14:50 – 15:40 We will take a bus to Pucara.
- 15:40 – 16:20 Guided tour of the town and the museum in Pucara.
- 16:20 – 17:00 We will go by bus to Puno.
Route of the Sun Tour in detail
1 Full Day Tour of the Route of the Sun (Cusco – Puno)
At about 7:00 am we will pick you up from your hotel and board our bus. We will visit several attractions on the way to Puno including:
Church of Andahuaylillas
A colonial building Known as the ”Sistine Chapel of the Americas”, many original colonial era works of art of great value are kept inside the church.
Ruins of Raqchi
This was a temple built for the god Wiracocha, it is 92 meters long (300 ft) and 25.5 meters wide (84 ft). This structure consists of a central adobe wall that is 18 to 20 m high.
Lunch in Sicuani
This town is surrounded by some very pretty hills. You will have lunch in our exclusive local restaurant with a family atmosphere.
La Raya Pass
4310m – 14172 ft. This is a good place to take pictures of grazing llamas and alpacas.
Pukara Church and Museum
This is a town about 100 kilometers from Puno. The famous ”toritos de pukara” are made here, and hung on the doors of houses for good luck. The Pukara Culture was a very important culture in pre-Inca times. They had knowledge of engineering, and architecture. We will visit the local museum, and continue to Puno. We will arrive in Puno at about 5 p.m. We will take you to your hotel in Puno.
What your dream trip includes
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide
- All Transfers from and to your hotel
- Tourist transportation with basic toilet facilities on board
- Entrance tickets to all places of visit
- Lunch at a tourist restaurant in Juliaca
The Cusco to Puno Package Does Not Include:
- Meals not mentioned in the package
- Tips or extra expenses
All payment methods include extra charges not added in the quotation. Please check the payment details.
You can get this tour from $XXX USD, This price may vary due to season, number of travelers or other conditions.
Discounts and Offers
- ISIC Card: Students with a valid ISIC card can apply to a discount of XX%.
- Junior: People under 18 years old can get this tour for $XXUSD.
You can enhance your experience with these aditional services:
- Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu Mountain: an extra hike to the sacred mountains next to the citadel.
- Vistadome Train: enjoy the landscape in a panoramic train during your trip to Machu Picchu.
- Porters: hire an extra porter to get him carry your belongings and enjoy the rek at your best! You will support a Peruvian family too!
What to bring for your Route of the Sun Tour
What you need to take for this tour:
- Sneakers, T-shirts, trousers, Shorts, Rain poncho for the rainy season
- Sun hat, Sunscreen, Bottled Water and Personal medication
- Extra money, Cameras
Map of the tour
Upgrade options for your comfort
You can always ask for an upgrade for all of our services:
Trains: you can ask for a high class train, the Hiram Bingham luxury service.
Accomodation: If you feel like staying in a hotel during your stay in Cusco even for a couple of hours, we have plenty of options for you. Please check our hotel lists to find the best option for you.
Guiding: Our guides are very knowledgeable and experienced, but if you want a specialized guiding you can ask us to a special guiding service.
Testimonials for inspiration
What is the best season to visit Machu Picchu?
Machu Picchu weather is two seasons. You can enjoy fresh and vivid days in rainy seasons from November to March, or shiny and blue-sky days during the dry season, from April to October.
When is Machu Picchu closed?
Good news! Machu Picchu is NEVER closed. You can visit this wonder every day of the year.
Should I book my permit in advance?
We strongly encourage you to book your Machu Picchu permit in advance as they can be sold out easily.
Read 2534 times!